Saturday, 5 November 2016

First vase

I have been wanting to make this shape for so long. I asked Jayne to demonstrate for me a while ago but I just hadn't got the courage to attempt it until now, with my own wheel at home. I was quite frankly amazed that it worked. The top bit was tricky and I had to cut it level a couple of times, but there was enough clay to bring it up again. Believe it or not I am going to experiment on it, having faith that I can recreate as many as I want now that I have made the first one. So stay tuned.
Something else I tried out lately was painting brown underglaze around the rim of a bowl, painting blue underglaze over the top and then rubbing back the blue just on the rim. It's a subtle look and I think I may try it again with more rubbing off.

1 comment:

  1. Well done with the vase! One of the exercises we had to do at Uni was spherical shapes. The flexible kidney tool was a great help for them.