Thursday 25 April 2013

This and that

After missing a week due to a migraine, I am back again and ready to share my latest "creations" (or perhaps "experiments" would be more apt.)
Here is my favourite, a tree trunk which I textured using an actual tree trunk and coloured with iron oxide. I wanted a matt finish so I have not added clear glaze over the top. I am not completely happy with the birds as parts of the underglaze smudged off before the clear glaze was applied. The birds are only just perched on there and will be glued on very soon.
Next up was a little daschund glazed with tenmoku colour.
This Pegasus was coloured with iron oxide then clear glazed. I still have a lot to learn with my brushwork in order to get an even shading. The mane and tail are yet to be added. Hoping to find something appropriate to glue on.
Moving away from the animal theme, I used some rolled clay to make a small plate and bowl. This was the best photo I could get of the plate. I like the colours of the plate but the bowl was more successful overall.

A bit of a mixed bag really. Can't wait for my next batch to come out of the kiln, as I think they are going to be my favourites so far.
Absolutely love being part of the Mildura Pottery Group. Meeting lots of inspiring people and having lots of laughs.

6 comments:

  1. Saw your post on Mud Colony. I love the tree trunk. The birds look very shiney compared to it. I would probably consider using less clear glaze on them, but then it could just the picture. I'm forever getting told that my stuff looks much better than the picture.

    I'm experimenting with plates too and finding getting good results quite difficult. But then if it was all so easy there would be nothing to strive for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, not completely happy with the pairing of the tree trunk with the birds. I think the birds are too big for starters. It's all a learning curve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caroline it is lovely to see a beginning potter share their work- there is so much to learn - that's why I am hooked on clay, there is always something new to learn. I like your birds and down the track you will find you can do more in the making stage without needing to use glue to finish your pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement Anna. The possibilities are indeed endless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is difficult to photograph really shiney pots. I agree that it is better to do more at the making stage. I think we also need to refine the transporation from home to pottery too, as there were some problems with that last week. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes there were a few losses! I figured I had to not make anything too thin anymore.

    ReplyDelete